Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Thousand Words




Today's post is one I wish I wasn't writing. Although I don't know them well, I met Martin & Betsy Fortin a few years ago when both of our daughters were attending college together. The one thing I can tell you about them is that they are two of the finest people I have ever met. I recall on "parents weekends" hoping to see them on campus so that we might be able to spend a little time together during a hectic couple of days. The day before our daughters graduated Martin & I spent a few minutes talking about what our daughters would be doing after graduation and I remember him also talking proudly about his son Joe and his plan to join the service. Then, the other day I read about the death in Iraq of 2nd Lt. Joseph Fortin of St. Johnsbury. As a parent, how do you put into words how you feel about the loss of a child whether it is your own or someone else's? Your heart aches. Then you see a photo like the one above & you realize that words aren't necessary. This picture truly speaks a thousand words.

No comments:

Post a Comment