Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Division III Team, Division I Host


Although it's been 5 years since my son Kevin graduated from Castleton State, I was part of the crowd at the historic first football game at the college this past weekend. The weather was beautiful, the playing field looked great, & the football team looked pretty impressive with a 42-28 victory over Anna Maria College. Granted, Castleton's first game was against another team with a start up program: The AMCATS of Anna Maria College play their very first home game this Saturday in Paxton, Massachusetts. The Spartan's real first test will come this weekend when they travel to Utica to take on Utica College. I do have to tell you though that even though The Spartans are a D-III football team, the whole day felt like a page out of Division I. There was a group of about 20 of us who started our day together tailgating with the other hundreds of fans at about 9:30 Saturday morning. I heard someone say at one point that College President David Wolk wanted everything to feel like a Division I experience & if that's true, without a doubt, he succeeded. It was a day I was happy to be part of and if you missed the chance to experience a day of football at Castleton plan on doing that during their next home game on September 26 when they host Gallaudet. Do that & you'll get a taste of Division I football courtesy of a Division III team.

No comments:

Post a Comment