Friday, March 5, 2010

A Cheer For The Cheerleaders!


I don't seem to get the chance to post a message here very often lately & I'm angry at myself for not acknowledging before today the State Championship won by the Rutland High Cheerleaders . On February 20th the squad traveled to Vergennes High School to compete in this years state championship. Rutland was nearly perfect in winning for the fourth time in five years. The Raiders received a score of 198 out of a possible 220 points from the panel of judges. As the dad of a former Rutland High cheerleader myself I know the level of commitment that these kids put into their practices & routines on a daily basis. It rivals the practice schedules of every sport at Rutland High.
Cara Austin was the cheerleading coach for Rutland on February 20th, and she was the coach seven years ago when my daughter Taryn was on her squad. I recall how hard those girls (and guys) worked that year to put themselves in the position to go up against Essex with a very good chance of winning it all....and that they did. It was an exciting night for Rutland because unlike recent history, that year was the first time in several that Rutland won the state championship. I haven't followed the cheerleading...or any other sport at Rutland as closely as the days that my kids were students there, but I still feel a sense of pride when the Red Raiders come out winners. I hope the team savors the victory.......they'll be amazed on how quickly it becomes just a memory.....but one that will always deserve a cheer for the 2010 Cheerleaders of Rutland High.

No comments:

Post a Comment