Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Dark & Stormy Night


"It was a dark & stormy night" ......that's how Charles Shultz always had Snoopy starting his stories. It certainly seems a fit way to start a quick review of the 50th anniversary of the Rutland Halloween Parade! By the time the parade started the weather actually improved a little bit, but let me tell you just how bad the weather was for that hour or so that we stood around waiting for the parade to begin. Two halloween parades in Rutland stand out for me more than the others. My first in 1993.....that was the year I came to Rutland...IT SNOWED FOR GOD's SAKE!! And this year's parade .....not just because of the awful rain & wind, but because it was pretty special being part of the parade on its 50th birthday....dark & stormy night or not.

Oh, & the picture is of me, Uncle Dave & Charlie Murphy stuck in the 60's before the start of the parade on Saturday.

3 comments:

  1. Here in Springfield, VT it rained pretty steadily from about 5pm until maybe midnight.
    Carrying umbrellas, my wife and I attempted to walk her grand-nephew around but that didn't last very long. I felt bad for all the folks that spent time and money decorating their front lawns and houses. I kept thinking, what are the odds of a downpour in Vermont on October 31st starting just when the kids are ready to trick or treat. Oh well, there's always next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only lived in Vermont since 2004. Before that the St.Pete/Clearwater area of Florida since 1976. I don't miss that. Too crowded and too hot.

    ReplyDelete